Power out and Bettendorf Walgreens evacuated for possible fire
Bettendorf Walgreens evacuated for possible electrical fire 1-28-14 (WQAD Photo)
Power was out in the same area where a possible electrical fire forced customers and employees to evacuate a Walgreens store in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Firefighters were called to the store at 3425 Middle Road, just west of Devils Glen Road, just after 11 a.m. Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
Initial reports indicated the store had been evacuated after light smoke and the smell of an electrical fire were detected inside the store.
No injuries were reported.
Emergency responders were reportedly checking to see whether there was any “power surge” or other electrical problem in the area of the store.
MidAmerican Energy reported power was out to more than 550 customers in Bettendorf at the time the fire was reported.
A spokesperson for MidAmerican Energy initially said they believed a car struck a pole in the area, knocking out power. She later said an equipment malfunction caused the outage.
She could not confirm any connection between that event and the incident at Walgreens.
Traffic lights were reportedly out at some intersections in the area, including the intersection of Devils Glen and Belmont, north of Middle Road.
MidAmerican Energy reported power was restored before noon.