Follow the Good Morning Quad Cities 2018 Road Trip here

Clothes near space heater started Rock Island house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Firefighters said a tub of clothes left too close to a space heater started fire that damaged a home in Rock Island.

The fire was reported at about 12:30 p.m. Sunday, January 26, 2014 at a home in the 4200 block of 6th Avenue.  Firefighters arrived to see light smoke visible from an attic window and from the roof.

Firefighters said the closed door to a second-floor bedroom was hot to the touch, and when they opened that door they found a tub of clothes on fire next to a space heater.

They used an extinguisher to put out the fire.

Smoke damage was confined to the second floor and attic, and damage from the fire was confined to the bedroom where the burning clothes were found.

Total damage from the fire was estimated to be $1,750.

Two adults and three children who live in the home were able to escape unharmed.  The American Red Cross was helping the family with temporary housing arrangements.