Burlington house fire causes stored ammunition to blast

Fire

Ammunition exploding inside a Burlington home that was fully engulfed in flames reportedly created hazardous conditions for firefighters battling the blaze.

According to the Burlington Fire Marshal, a wood burner used to heat a home on Sullivan Slough Road is believed to be the cause of the fire on Monday, January 13, 2014. Crews arrived shortly before noon to find the home engulfed in flames.

“Fire operations became more hazardous when ammunition stored in the house began exploding,” said the fire marshal.

The wood burner that officials believe started the fire is located inside a small shed outside the home. It was used to heat the one-and-a-half story wood frame house. After the fire had spread to the home a passerby noticed it and reported it.

Structural damage was estimated to be about $130,000; the contents lost were worth an estimated $60,000.

Officials said a dog was believed to have died in the fire. Nobody was home at the time of the fire and there were no reported injuries.

Additional water and manpower were called on to help extinguish the fire. Crews had the fire under control around 1:30 p.m., but were on scene until 4:15 p.m.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 923 other followers