Dozens evacuated from Clinton apartment building
What started as a reported water leak led to the discovery of dangerous levels of natural gas leaking into an apartment building in Clinton, Iowa.
Firefighters were sent to investigate a reported water leak in the Lafayette Apartments building at 143 Sixth Avenue just before 2:30 a.m. Friday, January 10, 2014.
Battalion Chief Frederick Roling said firefighters “found dangerous levels of natural gas leaking in the basement of the apartment building” when they arrived. A spokesman with Alliant Energy said the leak came from a gas line located outside of the building.
Thirty-eight people were evacuated from the five-story building. Eight were sent to an area homeless shelter.
Fire crews said they hoped repairs would be made in time to allow people back into their homes by Friday afternoon.
No injuries were reported. Crews do not believe the water leak and gas leak are related.