Don’t try this at home: Hot water experiment goes horribly wrong

A Wisconsin woman suffered serious injury trying a popular winter experiment of making vapor by throwing hot water into cold air.

The experiment seems to have been especially popular in the past week, when much of the country was in the grips of the polar vortex that dropped temperatures to record lows.  Television and online videos have shown demonstrations of hot water turning to vapor when it is thrown into frigid winter air.

On Monday, January 6th, it went wrong for 22-year-old Crystal Wallem according to a report from WITI.

Wallem says a thermometer showed her the water she used was about 220 degrees  after she heated it on the stove.  Seeking a more dramatic effect, Wallem filled a bucket with several gallons of boiling water.

When she threw the water into the air, the wind shifted and her back was covered in scalding water and steam.

Wallen ended up in a hospital emergency room with second-degree burns.  Her family says Wallem was the third person to check into the hospital with burns from that same trick.

“It hurt so bad. I was probably the worst pain I have ever felt,” Wallem said.  “At least for the scars to go away, if they go away at all, it could take up to a year. It should take a few weeks for it to heal enough to the point I don’t have bandages on.”


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 863 other followers