Popular Dwyer and Michaels news anchor moving on after ‘job eliminated’

Posted on: 4:53 pm, December 19, 2013, by , updated on: 06:29pm, December 19, 2013

A popular Quad City radio personality says she did not voluntarily leave her morning show gig on 97X, but was told last month her position with the highly-rated  Dwyer and Michaels show had been eliminated.

“I was let go. It wasn’t my choice,” said Beth Davis. “I didn’t do anything wrong. Unfortunately, my position was eliminated,” she said.

Davis worked behind the microphone as side-kick to Bill Michaels and Greg Dwyer for 11 years. She said she was told the bad news by the duo in a brief conversation that her time at the station was coming to an end.

“You know, I think it was hard for them, too. It was stressful for everyone,” Davis said, adding that she has not spoken to anyone at the station since she left.

While Davis says she was not given a specific reason for the cutback, the station was officially sold by Cumulus to Town Square Media about a week later. Publicly, the official word on Davis’ departure? She was “pursuing other opportunities.”

“I was shocked, then I was confused, then I was angry, which I think everybody goes through because it’s a loss. That’s who I was, I was “Beth Davis.” It was more than a job to me. It wasn’t me punching a clock. My heart was in it, so I did go through a lot of emotion and I had to come out  the other side,” Davis said.

The other side for the long-time fitness buff with the rock-hard abs, is meshing her passion with a new career.

“I’ll be a personal trainer, working out of WrightWay Personal Training in Bettendorf off Devils Glenn Road,” she said, available for clients starting in January.

“My new mission is going to be making people laugh, making people fit, one-on-one, as opposed to radio. It’s been real cool because a lot of listeners have been screaming at me on Facebook, “you should be a personal trainer,” and sending me messages of support, which has been amazing,” Davis said.

25 comments

• Patricia Sedlock says:

We all know the real reason Beth was let go was her threat of becoming more popular than her associates, namely Dwyer and Michaels. Same thing happened to Kathleen Kelly. As soon as each of these girls became a household name as part of the Dorks morning show they were “let go”. Shame on D and M.

• Bo Darvil says:

No great loss. Her voice is lie fingernails on a blackboard. Bahbye.

• Bo Darvil says:

The show is SO much better without her. She is much to full of herself. When I heard her voice again on the story I got ill.I wish her luck,hopefuly we have seen and heard the last of “beth davis”

• donna brown says:

Good luck Beth! You deserve the best!

• Danno 66 says:

Bo Darvil Is such a DICK !!!!!!!!! A-HOLE

• Ouch, Bo. Don’t hold back!! Harsh words, but I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I never once got the sense she was full of herself. You make her voice out to be of the ilk of the Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz or something. She must have done something to you at one time?? Best of luck to you Beth!

• Bo Darvil says:

Jeff, HA! I never met her, I just could never stand her voice.I am SO glad she is gone.I wish her luck.

• Vectordrive says:

I’ll be persuing “other opportunities” on my radio dial in the mornings from now on. I needed one more reason not to listen to those idiots. The dynamics of the show have completely changed and not for the better.

• Koop says:

I can not believe they let her go,they were a team n if a team breaks up there is no reason to keep listening to them.Kind of,makes u think their true colors came out..

• Angelo1197 says:

Shame, I liked the show. Hope it works out for the three of them.

• Lupe Seibel says:

Dear Beth , I’ve been wondering where you have been I have missed you.So sorry to here you won’t be on the show anymore you are definately one of the reasons I listened every morning on my way to work.i wish you all the best and know that you will be great as a personal trainer.

• Mike Johnson says:

Who cares? The show is 99% commercials and 1% funny anyway. I can’t stand commercials and that’s why I quit listening a couple of years ago.

• Paul McVey says:

I miss Beth on the show! She made the show complete. I can’t believe they let her go…. loss of respect for them over this. You’re great Beth and good luck to you! Will miss your laugh every morning.

• Scott says:

You never know all of the facts until a few months pass. I thought she was an asset to the show. Dwyer & Michaels have shown us time after time that there true motivation is $$$. Can’t wait to find out the whole story.

• commuting mom says:

I miss Beth too. It seems as if they are “reaching to fill the time” without her contribution. I just figured it had to do with the new station ownership. All the Best to you, Beth in your new endeavors. I hope you don’t have to get up at 4 AM to get to work any more.

• sue c says:

I too have lost respect and Good luck to you Beth. I have worked with Beth and know that she is a wonderful person. She will overcome this as she has done before. We all know that on air “personalities” are fickle.

• TIM says:

how do radio stations make money anyway? especially crappy ones?

• Mr. Rodgers says:

The show has always been horrible, but Beth really helped out the two tards in a good way. I bet Bo is either Dwyer on Michael.

• shane. says:

rock on beth and the boys..good luck!

• Dave says:

Now that Beth is gone I’ve decided to venture over to the dark side Classic Rock Q106.5

Comments are closed.