Some Davenport schools locked down for reported gunman incident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Police at YMCA after gunman reported in area of Davenport North High School (WQAD Photo)

Several schools in the Davenport Community Schools district were locked down for about a half-hour in connection with a reported gunman in the area of Davenport North High School.

Unconfirmed information indicated people at or near a basketball court there reported someone showed and pointed a gun at them.  No shots were reported fired, and no injuries were reported.

The incident is believed to have started at the YMCA at 624 West 53rd, which is attached to Davenport North at 626 West 53rd.

Davenport North High, Harrison Elementary, Wood Intermediate and John F. Kennedy Elementary schools were all reportedly locked down in connection with the incident.

The lockdown prevented anyone from entering or departing those buildings.

A spokesperson for Davenport Police later said they got a report that someone “displayed a purported hand gun at the North YMCA” at about 1:30 p.m.  The schools near that location were locked down as a precaution.

Officers searched North High School and they examined surveillance video from the interior and exterior of the school.

“Once the officers on scene felt the school and the area were secure, the lock down was lifted.  We believe this to be an isolated incident, no one was injured, and I want to stress that the lock downs were a precautionary measure,” said Davenport Police Captain Dale Sievert.

Activity resumed and people were seen leaving the previously-locked down buildings at about 2:50 p.m.  A spokesperson for the Davenport Community School District said North High School Students were dismissed before 3 p.m. and that Harrison and Wood students would be dismissed at their regular time.

“The YMCA has a zero tolerance policy toward alcohol, tobacco and firearms,” said YMCA spokesman Frank Klipsch.  He said the YMCA was working with police and school officials to help with the investigation.


Comments are closed.