Candle blamed for Burlington house fire

An unattended candle is believed to be the cause of a fire that heavily damaged an uninsured home in Burlington, Iowa.

Firefighters were sent to the intersection of Angular and Gunnison streets just before 9 p.m. Tuesday, December 3, 2013.  They arrived to find flames shooting from the back of a home there.

It took about a half hour to bring the fire under control.  Firefighters remained at the scene of the fire until about 11 p.m.

The fire did $30,000 damage to the structure plus $15,000 damage to the contents of the home.  Fire Marshal Mark Crooks said the home was not insured.

The homeowner was there at the time of the fire, and he safely escaped the burning home.

“The fire is considered accidental with the most likely cause being an unattended candle in a bedroom,” Crooks said.

No injuries were reported.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 884 other followers