Follow the Good Morning Quad Cities 2018 Road Trip here

Fire destroys house in rural Donahue

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

What began as a fire in a fireplace later spread and forced a family from their home in rural Donahue, Iowa.

The fire was reported around 7 a.m. Friday, November 8, 2013 at a home in the 11000 block of 287th Street.

The homeowner said the family had a fire going in the fireplace as they got their children ready for school.  As they left to take the kids to their bus stop, they saw fire on the outside of the chimney.

Firefighters from at least three area fire departments responded to the fire.  Because of the location, water was brought in by truck to fight the fire.

A volunteer firefighter on the scene said he thought the home was a total loss.

All six people in the home were able to safely escape.  No injuries were reported.

Volunteers from the American Red Cross were also sent to help coordinate help for the two adults and four children affected by the fire.