Follow the Good Morning Quad Cities 2018 Road Trip here

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak hospitalized after collapsing at game

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak (from the Houston Texans)

(CNN) — Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak collapsed on the field at a game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night, petrifying the home crowd as he was wheeled away on a stretcher.

The 52-year-old coach was walking near the 20-yard line just after halftime started when he slowly bent over and then collapsed.

Late Sunday night, the Texans announced that Kubiak was conscious at a local hospital and that his family was with him.

“All his vital signs are good,” said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who stepped in as interim head coach. “He did not have a heart attack, but they’re still checking on everything with him.”

In a post-game news conference, Phillips recalled his confusion in the moments after Kubiak’s collapse, describing it as “a shock to everybody.”

“I was traveling in and I saw him on the ground and I kept asking, ‘What happened?’ ” he said. “And that’s kind of what happened with everybody.”

‘It looked serious’

One Texans player, defensive end Antonio Smith, said he saw Kubiak collapse.

“He went down to his knee and couldn’t get back up and looked like he was having trouble breathing,” he said after the game.

“It looked serious because he couldn’t get back up and everyone was surrounding him.”

Kubiak was tended to by a flock of medical staff as he lay on the field. He was eventually wheeled out on a stretcher.

“We finally got word that they took him to the hospital, but we were unsure of everything,” Phillips said.

Concern from both teams

The Colts went on to win the game 27-24, even though the Texans led 21-3 at halftime. But Phillips refused to use Kubiak’s collapse as an excuse for the defeat, saying Houston had opportunities in the second half.

“When the game was on the line, we didn’t play well enough,” he said.

“We were very concerned at halftime,” Texans tackle Duane Brown said. “We actually were more motivated if anything to try to go out and get the win. But once we were out there and started playing again, it didn’t stick around in our minds too much.”

Houston’s opponents also voiced their concern about Kubiak. Colts owner Jim Irsay offered his support to the Texans coach.

“Big time prayers for Coach Kubiak,” Irsay tweeted. “God bless his healthy return and ease his family’s worry and concern.”

Other coaches

Kubiak is among three football coaches to suffer dramatic health issues recently.

Denver Broncos head coach John Fox was taken to a hospital Saturday after feeling lightheaded while playing golf, the team said last week. He is scheduled to have an aortic heart valve replacement this week and will be away from coaching for at least the next several, the team said Saturday.

In September, University of Minnesota Gophers head coach Jerry Kill suffered an apparent epileptic seizure on a sideline at halftime, the sports website Bleacher Report said at the time.

Kill, who has a history of such seizures, has been on leave as head coach since October 10 but continues to be involved with the team while receiving treatment to manage his epilepsy, the school said in a prepared statement.

CNN’s Joseph Miller, Jake Carpenter and Joe Sutton contributed to this report.