Pizza box blamed for fire damage to Rock Island home
Crews say fire damaged a Rock Island home after a blazing pizza box was reportedly thrown onto a pallet set alongside the house.
According to the Rock Island Fire Department, a home on 12th Street in Rock Island was damaged on Sunday, November 3, 2013 around 11 a.m. when a plastic pallet, which was on the side of the home, caught fire. A pizza box that caught fire in the oven was reportedly thrown onto the pallet.
Upon arrival, according to the fire department, crews found the pallet on fire in the back yard away from the house.
The department said flames were not visible but the aluminum siding was scorched. They found that fire was hidden within the “walls of the porch and to the main house area.” Crews pulled exterior wood siding from the home to extinguish the fire.
There were no injuries reported and the residents can still stay in the home.