BETTENDORF, Iowa – We’re getting around entertainment time, people are having people over for open houses. How about a nice Mashtini for your Open House?
Chef Brad Scott, director of Scott Community College’s School of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management, says this is a great idea for someone trying to make a simple side dish extra special.
“First of all, you need to start with a nice martini glass,” says Chef Scott.
Then it’s just an easy recipe with few dishes to dirty.
1. For a small gathering, use 3 cups of mashed potatoes (instant potatoes are fine)
2. Add 3 tbsp of sour cream
3. Add 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4. Add 1 tbsp of horseradish
5. Put potatoes on a low burner and stir
Use a frying pan to make the topping.
1. Dice four shrimp into small pieces
2. Pour 2 tbsp of Chef’s butter (50/50 combinatiojn of butter and margarine) into pan
3. Add 1 tbsp of garlic (or garlic powder)
4. Add 2 tbsp diced mushrooms
5. Add 2 tbsp diced bacon
6. Add shrimp and saute until shrimp are finished
7. Add diced green onions and cook for 3 minutes (make sure shrimp don’t get tough)
Add a dollop of potatoes per martini glass, then pour the topping over it. Sprinkle cheddar cheese to complete the mashtini.
“People can carry these around before the main meal,” Chef Scott suggests.
“Or, you can also make this ahead of time and make dueling crockpots so people can help themselves.”
The “Mashtini” bar. What a great idea.