(CNN) — A man was seriously injured Friday morning — losing both of his hands — in an explosion of chemicals that he’d been mixing in a southern Boston apartment building, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis told The Boston Globe.
Firefighters were called to the four-story apartment building in the Hyde Park neighborhood shortly after 9 a.m., the Boston Fire Department said on its official Twitter account.
Firefighters put out a fire in the basement, and the injured man was taken to a hospital, the fire department said.
Davis said investigators didn’t immediately know why the man was mixing the chemicals or why the chemicals exploded, according to the Globe.
Police said a caller reported hearing bangs coming from the building, according to CNN affiliate WCVB.
Davis said the chemicals have been neutralized, the Globe reported.