Iowa couple burned when scrap truck explodes
A Jones County, Iowa man and woman were hospitalized for burns they suffered when a welding torch ignited gas fumes as they worked on a scrap truck.
The explosion was reported just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday, September 5, 2013 at a home east of Wyoming, Iowa.
KCRG reports witnesses said John Ralston, 45, and his 33-year-old wife Jamaica were using a torch to cut up pieces of an old abandoned truck when the flame from the torch apparently ignited fumes in the truck’s gas tank, causing an explosion.
John and Jamaica both reportedly made their way back into their house to await the arrival of a helicopter ambulance which airlifted them to a hospital in Iowa City.
The couple suffered burns to their heads, faces and upper bodies. John Ralston was reportedly more seriously injured than his wife.