Over a dozen current and previous patients from the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital have been selected as Kid Captains.
Fourteen kids will have the chance to shine on game day during the 2013 football season of the Iowa Hawkeyes.
UI Children’s Hospital partners with the Iowa Hawkeyes in the Kid Captain program. The program is a celebration of the kids, who Raphael Hirsch, M.D. says are an inspiration.
“Each of these patients and their families are portraits of courage and determination with stories of strength and perseverance,” said Hirsch, the Physician-in-Chief of UI Children’s Hospital.
Children selected as Kid Captains for the 2013 home games are:
- Carson Thomas, 13, Washington, Iowa
- Michaela Inman,13, Ankeny, Iowa
- Myles Peterman, 13, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Alex Kirby, 15, and Molly Kirby, 17, Eldora, Iowa
- Grace Lidgett, 8, Traer, Iowa
- Mason Shepherd, 8, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Zach Zwirlein, 12, Coal Valley, Ill.
Children selected as honorary Kid Captains for away games are:
- Stella Turnbull, 6, Pella, Iowa
- Emma Miller, 5, Oelwein, Iowa
- Kyleigh Burlingame, 5, Webster City, Iowa
- Aidan Hanson, 7, Estherville, Iowa
- Dylan Holub, 6, Springville, Iowa
- Krystal Robertson, 6, Davenport, Iowa
All Kid Captains and their families are invited to Kids Day at Kinnick Stadium in August for a behind-the-scenes tour. The captains were chosen by a 12-person committee made-up of staff.
Each child will have their story showcased during the season.