Chef Scott: Grilled Kabobs with Bacon Wrapped Corn
MOLINE, Illinois – There is plenty of summertime grilling left this year.
We have a crowd favorite that will give your family new tastes from the grill: Shish Kabobs and Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob.
1. Soak your wooden skewers
Make the marinade.
1. Add 1 cup olive oil in a bowl
2. Add 2 tbsp oregano
3. Add juice from two lemons
4. Add juice from a jar of Kalamata olives
5. Add 1 tbsp garlic
6. Add 1 jigger Ouzo
7. Mix together, add 1 lb cubed sirloin
8. Marinate for 4 to 6 hours in refrigerator
Time to make tzatziki sauce.
1. Add small, diced 1/2 cucumber in a bowl
2. Add 1 cup sour cream
3. Add 1 tsp lemon juice
4. Add 1 tsp garlic
5. Fold together and refrigerate
Get the corn ready for the grill, it takes longer to cook.
1. Shuck and wash each ear
2. Add chef’s butter (50/50 mix of butter and margarine)
3. Wrap two slices of bacon per corn cob
4. Slices should cover entire cob
5. Rotate the cobs on the grill for about 12 to 14 minutes
Let’s make the Shish kabobs.
1. Cut green peppers and purple unions into cubes
2. Insert peppers, meat, onions, meat, peppers, meat onions…
3. Sear on the grill (about 350-degrees)
4. Rotate for total cook time of five to six minutes
5. Add pitas to the grill to warm them.
Pull the kabobs apart and put in each pita.
“You might think kabobs are from Greece,” says Chef Scott. “Actually, they have roots in Turkey.”
“Either way, they make the perfect meal for the all-American event known as the cookout. Enjoy.”