Fire reportedly started by heater used to kill bugs

Posted on: 3:52 pm, July 29, 2013, by

Eastlake, Ohio home after fire - photo from WJW

Eastlake, Ohio home after fire - photo from WJW

A house was destroyed by fire after the residents said they followed bug-killing advice they found on the Internet.

WJW reports the house was a total loss from fire that started just before 9 a.m. Monday, July 29, 2013 at a home in Eastlake, Ohio.

No one was inside the home at the time of the fire.  A dog reportedly died after it ran back into the house after the fire started.

Smoke and heat damage spread throughout the home.  The fire was contained to one side of the house. Damage was estimated at $125,000.

Officially, the cause was listed as misuse of heating materials.  Fire department officials said the people living in the home were using a torpedo heater to heat a room to kill bugs.  They had reportedly read about the technique online.