Fire at Moline home causes “major damage”

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Updated July 28 at 2:34 p.m. --

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 in the afternoon, a Moline home caught fire and was reported by the homeowner. She was the only one home at the time according to the Captain of the Moline Fire Department, Clair Pearson.

The homeowner was taken to an area hospital before being flown to Iowa City on Saturday, according to the Moline Fire Department.

Officials say the cause of the fire is undetermined at this time. The fire department and insurance company will be working together in the coming week to determine what may have happened.

Updated July 27 at 5:34 p.m. --

Captain Clair Pearson of the Moline Fire Department said the fire has been extinguished. Upon arrival, their was heavy fire inside the home.

"I just stepped inside the door, I haven't been in to look around, but it's major damage throughout the house," Pearson said.

Pearson said the cause of the fire is unknown at this time, but there will be an investigation.

The American Red Cross is assisting four adults and one child after the home in Moline caught fire, according to the regional communications manager, Kasey Kelly. The volunteers are helping those affected with food, shelter, and emotional support, said Kelly.

Updated July 27 at 4:10 p.m. --

Officials say the fire was called in at 2:48 p.m. The homeowner was taken to an area hospital.

Original story published on Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 3:23 p.m. --

A fire broke out on 6th Ave. in Moline, causing police to block-off surrounding streets.

At around 3:10 p.m., firefighters were on the scene of a house working to extinguish the fire. Police were blocking one-direction of traffic on 19th Street, and a squad car was blocking traffic at 6th Ave. near the fire.

Captain Clair Pearson of the Moline Fire Department said the homeowner reported the fire and was the only one home at the time.

Roughly half-a-dozen fire trucks were on site as well as a Rock Island ambulance.