In the heat wave, over 100 cooling centers have been opened across Illinois, 10 locally to help residents beat the heat.
Nearly record-breaking high temperatures have pushed Illinois Governor Pat Quinn to open the centers for safety purposes.
“High temperatures can be extremely dangerous, especially for senior citizens and young children,” Governor Quinn said. “I urge all residents to take the safety steps necessary to stay cool, and be alert for signs of heat-related illness.”
Cooling Centers in the area are located at the following Department of Human Services locations:
- Bureau County – 225 Backbone Road – Princeton
- Davenport County - Genesis Medical Center, 1227 E. Rusholme Street - Davenport (9 a.m.-5p.m. Thursday & Friday)
- Davenport County - Genesis Medical Center, 1401 West Central Park Street - Davenport (9 a.m.-5p.m. Thursday & Friday)
- Hancock County – 2005 East U.S. Highway 136 – Carthage
- Henry County – 125 W. South Street – Kewanee
- Henry County - 703 6th Street - Colona Senior Center (11 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- Jackson County – 342 North Street – Murphysboro
- Knox County – 477 E. Main Street, Suite A – Galesburg
- McDonough County – 1026 E. Jackson Street – Macomb
- Peoria County – 2301 N.E. Adams Street, Suite D – Peoria
- Rock Island County – 500 42nd St. Suite 6, 2nd floor – Rock Island
- Rock Island County – 4711 44th Street, Suite 3 – Rock Island
- Rock Island County -- 2827 7th Ave. -- Rock Island (8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Thursday & Friday)
- Rock Island County - Genesis Medical Center, Illini Campus - 801Illini Drive - Silvis (9 a.m.-5p.m. Thursday & Friday)
- Whiteside County – 2605 Woodlawn Road – Sterling
- Mercer/Warren Counties - Alexis Community Center, 200 W. Palmer Ave. - Village of Alexis
According to the Office of the Governor, the Illinois Department of Human Services are acting as these centers and are open during regular business hours – from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For more cooling center locations, visit the Illinois Department of Human Services website or call the IDHS hotline at 800-843-6154.