Sterling boy buried alive continues to recover
The little boy from Sterling who was buried alive under an 11-foot sand dune for close to four hours may make a full recovery.
Nathan Woessner, 6, became trapped underneath the sand at the Indiana Dunes while on an outing with his family on Friday, July 12, 2013.
On Monday, doctors reported there’s no evidence of brain damage and his prognosis appears, at this point, to be good.
“If he continues to recover at this rate, we expect him to be off the ventilator by the end of the week and perhaps out of this hospital within 14 days,” said Dr. Tracy Koogler, with the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Koogler says she was stunned when the little boy arrived, breathing on his own. She says right now, the big concern is sand in his lungs and the risk of infection, but so far, so good.