Historic newspaper found in Ambrose time capsule
Newspaper found in St Ambrose time capsule 5-23-13 (WQAD Photo)
More than 125 years after it was sealed, the cornerstone of Ambrose Hall was opened to reveal its historic contents.
The cornerstone of the building, which was laid in July 1885, was removed as part of a planned $5-million renovation to the building. Renovations are expected to be completed by the end of the fall 2013 semester, in December 2013.
The cornerstone was opened in May 2013 and St. Ambrose University officials revealed what was inside the cornerstone on May 23.
Ambrose Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It opened in November 1885 and has been expanded and remodeled several times in its 128-year history.
A newspaper dated February 1885 was found inside the cornerstone.
Ambrose Hall is at 518 West Locust Street in Davenport.