MOLINE, Illinois – It’s time to give mom a break and make the meal this Mother’s Day.
“Who doesn’t want to grill out on such a special day?” asks Chef Brad Scott, director of the Scott Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Center.
Fit for the grill: a seared flank steak, grilled pineapple and cauliflower, with Caprise salad.
The flank steak may not be the best cut of meat, but “it’s an affordable cut of meat that eats like a filet.”
But first, let’s start with the side dishes.
1. Skin a large pineapple
2. Baste with sugar and butter
3. Place on the grill for 20-minutes (turning occasionally)
4. Cut a head of cauliflower into four wedges
5. Top with a rub of olive oil, salt and pepper
6. Place the cauliflower flowerette side down on the grill for 20-minutes
Then, turn your attention to the steak.
1. Salt and pepper an 8 ounce flank steak
2. Season it with garlic
3. Rub in olive oil
4. Place on the grill
5. Baste with 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce and 3 tbsp Chef’s Butter (a 50/50 mix of butter and margarine)
6. Grill to taste
7. Cut meat on the bias (45 degree angle)
“I like the Polynesian style with a cheaper cut of meat that can treat a lot of guests a great meal,” says Chef Scott.