An Indiana family says a typical dinner turned nauseating after they found a toad in their canned green beans.
“We eat a lot of green beans, we do, we did. Nobody wants anymore now,” said Gloria Chubb of South Bend.
That was then.
WBND reports it wasn’t until she served dinner – meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans – that Chubb’s family made the discovery.
“I didn’t see it when I dumped it- I didn’t see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave,” said Chubb. “I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don’t think I’ll have green beans anytime soon.
“My son put some on his plate and said, ‘What is that?’ I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something– because they have bacon in them sometimes,” said Chubb. “I and I took it out of there and it wasn’t moldy bacon, it was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans. Other than that he was fully intact.”
Chubb alerted the health department, and they took photos of the toad. They concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.
The specialist who compiled the incident report said it probably isn’t the only one, since green bean field are natural habitats for toads and frogs. It’s uncommon to find one in canned vegetables but it does happen from time to time. Toads, mice and grasshoppers are the most common rodents or insects found in canned vegetables; they can be found in frozen vegetables as well.
Meijer issued this statement:
“Our goal at Meijer is to always provide the highest quality products to our customers. We sincerely regret this customer’s experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident.”