Smoking blamed for fire at Moline house

Posted on: 10:25 am, April 23, 2013, by

police lights generic

Discarded smoking materials started a porch fire that forced a family from their Moline home.

A neighbor reported the fire just before 2 a.m. Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at a home in the 1800 block of 19th Avenue.

Firefighters arrived to find fire on the porch and a burning vehicle in the driveway.  The fire was spreading to the first floor of the home at a window.

It took less than ten minutes to bring the fire under control.  Damage was confined to the exterior of the home with minor damage to the first floor of the house.  There was minor smoke damage throughout the home.

The four residents of the home escaped unharmed.

Firefighters said smoking materials discarded on the front porch caused the fire.