Conflicting reports claim arrest and no arrest in Boston bombings

Boston Marathon bomb site photo by Aaron Tang via CNN

Boston Marathon bomb site photo by Aaron Tang via CNN

Updated at 2:20 p.m. Central time:  Boston Police and other sources continue to deny any arrest of a suspect in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings.   Investigators said “significant progress” was made in the case, but no arrests. 

Updated 1:45 p.m. Central time:  (CNN) — There have been no arrests in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, according to Boston police and the Justice Department.

Investigators in Washington and Boston denied Wednesday that an arrest had been made in the bombing of the Boston Marathon. They had earlier said there was “substantial” progress in the case.

There was conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.

_________________________

Updated at 1:20 p.m. Central time:  An arrest has been made in the Boston bombings investigation based on two videos showing images of the suspect, a federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend.

The Associated Press reports U.S. Marshals have taken the suspect to the courthouse in downtown Boston.

_________________

(CNN) — Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, a source who has been briefed on the investigation told CNN.

The possible breakthrough came from an analysis of video from a Lord and Taylor department store near the site of the second blast, and video from a Boston TV station helped as well, the official said.

Authorities have a clear image of someone placing the kind of package authorities are looking for, including clear identification of the possible suspect’s face, the source told King.

“Substantial progress” has been made in the criminal investigation into Monday’s marathon bombings, a Boston law enforcement source told CNN’s John King. “This is significant,” the source said.

Stay with News 8 and WQAD.com for updates to this developing story.

For more video, photos and coverage of the Boston bombings, click here.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 862 other followers