Smoke detector credited with saving woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

You may have checked your smoke detector a few weeks ago when we changed over to daylight saving time.

The American Red Cross suggests you check the batteries twice a year, when we "spring ahead" and when we "fall back."

That turned out to be a life-saver for one Coal Valley woman, who's home went up in flames Tuesday night.

Firefighters from Coal Valley, Colona and Orion were called to the trailer fire shortly after nine o'clock p.m.
The trailer is pretty much a complete loss, but the homeowner was able to make it out uninjured, firefighters say, thanks to a smoke detector.

They say it's a reminder to make sure you have a working smoke detector, check the batteries twice a year and also think about putting in more than one.
"It's important that we have multiple smoke detectors in our homes." said Betsy Pratt, with the American Red Cross. "In the bedrooms, in the hallways outside the bedrooms and if we have a lower level in the home, that we have a smoke detector in the lower level also."

Pratt also suggests having an emergency preparedness plan in case of a fire.

For more information on what to do to prepare, go to: