IS THERE A FORGOTTEN TASTE YOU MISS? Chef Scott wants to feature other long-forgotten menu items you may remember for former Quad City “hot spot” restaurants. Check out our FACEBOOK page for details and one of your favorites could be featured this May on “News 8 at 11″
BETTENDORF, Iowa – There are some tastes you just can’t forget. That’s especially true when you remember the menus of restaurants that have long-since closed.
Take Moline’s W.L. Velie’s for instance. It had a weekend special known throughout the Quad Cities before the restaurant closed its doors in 1992.
1. Slice leftover prime rib into thin strips
2. In a frying pan, add 1/4 cup of chef’s butter (a 50/50 mix of margarie and butter)
3. Stir into the butter 3 tbsp of flour to create a cream
4. Add 2 tbsp of blue cheese dressing
5. Add 1 tbsp garlic powder
6. Add 1 cup of heavy cream
7. Stir together the ingredients before adding the strips of beef
8. Bring to a “lazy bubble” boil
9. Add 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles
10. Serve on a plate of egg noodles
“How easy is that?” asks Chef Scott.
“Can you believe that a signature dish from W.L. Velies that the Quad Cities just loved is that easy to make in your home. Enjoy.”