By Alan Duke
LOS ANGELES (CNN) — A 12-year-old Southern California boy admitted he made a fake emergency call that sent police to Ashton Kutcher’s Hollywood home last year.
The juvenile’s “swattting” also targeted Justin Bieber’s Calabasas, California, home and a bank, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s spokeswoman said.
Dozens of emergency personnel rushed to Kutcher’s home on October 3, 2012, only to find workers inside and no emergency, police said. Kutcher, who was on the set of his TV sitcom “Two and a Half Men,” also rushed to his home.
“The comments of the call advised that there were individuals inside the location with guns and explosives, and that several people had been shot,” a police statement said.
The boy, who is being prosecuted as a juvenile and not identified, will be sentenced by a juvenile judge in his home county, according to the spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney.
“Swatting” usually is done by computer hackers, who use online skills to make a false report of a serious crime in progress, police said. “The swatting practice is extremely dangerous and places first responders and citizens in harm’s way,” police said.