Wood-burning stove blamed for Mercer Co. house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire destroyed a shed and damage the home next to it Monday, February 25, 2013. (WQAD Photo)

A wood-burning stove used for heat is now seen as the cause of a fire that damaged a home near Viola, Illinois.

The fire was reported near Highway 17 and 240th Street in Mercer County at about 2 p.m. Friday, February 25, 2013.

A wood-burning stove in a shed next to the home was being used to provide heat while the house was under construction.

The fire destroyed the shed and spread to the kitchen of the house.  Damage in the home was confined to the kitchen.

Firefighters said no one was home at the time of the fire.  No injuries were reported.