Space heater could be blamed for Rock Island fire

Residents were forced to evacuate a Rock Island apartment building when fire broke out Friday morning, February 15, 2013.

The fire was reported at 1230 13th Avenue just after 8 a.m.

Heavy smoke and flames were visible as firefighters arrived.  The fire was under control in about a half hour.

Most of the damage was confined to the interior of the building.  The tenant indicated a space heater probably caused the fire.

The building was evacuated and initial reports indicated all residents escaped safely.  The Red Cross offered assistance to the displaced residents.

No injuries were reported. No word on what the landlord plans to do with the apartment.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 884 other followers