Autopsy shows man found in Mississippi River drowned

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Updated February 15, 2013: 

Preliminary autopsy results show a man whose body was found in the Mississippi River had drowned.

The body of David Compton, 50, was found about 50 feet from shore near Lindsay Park Yacht Club Tuesday, February 12, 2013.

Investigators found no signs of trauma or of foul play.

“It had been reported that Mr. Compton had been despondent in recent months,” said Davenport Police Captain Dale Sievert.

Updated February 14, 2013:

A Davenport man was identified as the person whose body was found in the Mississippi River near Lindsay Park.

The body was spotted by a jogger just before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, 2013.

Police said they used fingerprints to identify the body as that of David Howard Compton, 50, of Davenport.

Police said Mr. Compton had not been reported missing.

An exact cause of death and autopsy results had not yet been released.

Original story from February 12, 2013:

Rescue boats were launched after a passerby reported a body in the Mississippi River near the Lindsay Park Yacht Club.

The sighting was reported just before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, 2013.

A person jogging along riverfront trail reported seeing the body near the retaining wall about a half-mile east of the marina.

Rescue boat were launched from ramps in Davenport and Bettendorf.

First responders confirmed there was a body floating in the water about fifty feet from the shoreline.

"The body was fully clothed, with no visible sign of trauma and appeared to have been in the water for some time," said a statement from Davenport Police Assistant Chief Donald Schaeffer.

Police said the body is that of a 40- to 50-year-old man.  Investigators were reviewing missing person files for a possible match, since there was no identification found on the body.

Although they did not yet know how the man ended up in the river, police said they did not suspect foul play.

An autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday, February 13, 2013.