Gas leak forces R.O.W.V.A. schools to close early
Construction crews hit a two-inch gas line that caused a precautionary early dismissal of R.O.W.V.A. schools.
Crews were working Monday morning, January 7, 2013 on an addition to the education complex at 335 N. Joy Street in Oneida, Illinois when they struck at gas line at the construction site.
A spokesperson for Ameren said their crews responded immediately and capped the leak.
Students were reportedly initially evacuated to the high school gym because of the smell. The students were dismissed at about 9:45 a.m. and sent home for the day.
The Ameren spokesperson says the evacuation and dismissal were precautionary, and that no one was in any danger.