Second Decorah eaglet electrocuted
The famous Decorah eagles have lost another member from their 2012 brood.
According to the Raptor Resource Project, director Bob Anderson found D14 dead Monday near Rockford, Iowa. The eagle, which was one of three hatched by the Decorah pair in 2012, was electrocuted after landing or trying to land on a power pole.
An examination of the eagle’s body showed he had been in good health before his death. The RRP had been tracking the bird with a transmitter.
A sibling of D14, D12, was also electrocuted earlier this year.
The Raptor Resource Project says many newer poles have bird safety devices on them because the electrocution of birds can cause fires.
The Decorah eagles nest live stream camera (below) has been a popular stop on the internet for the past few years as people across the world have watched the pair of eagles raise their young.
(thanks to our sister station WHO-TV for this report)