Gas leak evacuates downtown Rock Island buildings
A natural gas leak caused people to evacuate buildings in downtown Rock Island Monday morning, November 19, 2012.
The leak was reported at about 10 a.m. near the intersection of Third Avenue and 16th Street.
A public works crew removing a tree stump struck and ruptured the gas line.
Employees at Royal Neighbors of America evacuated their building and were sent home while repair crews worked to cap the leak. The YWCA and its daycare were also evacuated, and employees were evacuated from Rock Island City Hall.
The leak was on Third Avenue between the Royal Neighbors and City Hall.
Fire department officials said the leak was capped just before 11 a.m. Occupants were allowed to re-enter the evacuated buildings.
No injuries were reported.