BETTENDORF, Iowa - Eggplant is a very underutilized vegetable in America.
But our chef, Scott Community College's director of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management's Chef Brad Scott, says other cultures know how to make the most of this vegetable.
"The Italians know how to use it," he says.
"Throw a little cheese on and 'joila!'... Eggplant Parmesan."
1. Cut 1/2 inch slices of eggplant
2. Rub both sides of each slice with chef's butter (1/2 combination of butter and margarine)
3. Place on a grill two minutes per side
4. Place on a pan, top each slice with 2 tbsp of red sauce
5. Add 3 slices of mozzarella cheese on each
6. Add Parmesan cheese
7. Sprinkle with bread crumbs
8. Put in a broiler for three minutes to melt the cheeses together
9. Serve with broccoli and fried potatoes
"Maybe the Italians do have something when it comes to eating healthy," says Chef Scott.
"Eggplant Parmesan. Enjoy."