Click here for Halloween events, deals, photos and trick-or-treat times

UPDATE: Malfunctioning Appliance Caused Apartment Fire

Moline Apartment Fire 10-18-12 (WQAD photo)

Moline Apartment Fire 10-18-12 (WQAD photo)

UPDATE as of 3:15pm on Thursday, October 18th — The Moline Fire Department tells News 8 that a malfunctioning electrical appliance sparked a fire in a second-floor apartment at 4325 26th Avenue.

Investigators say the fire started just before 10:30am on Thursday, October 18th, 2012. When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke and fire pouring out of windows in the building. All 10 units in the building were affected by smoke and water damage.

Fire officials say no one was hurt in the fire, but firefighters did have to rescue one on the third floor by using their truck ladder. One person was also taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation. Investigators say one or two pets were able to get out of the building, but at least two or three died.

Joyce Marks, who lives in the apartment building, tells News 8 she believes the fire started in her neighbor’s apartment.

“I saw her door and I saw the blackness and a little smoke, but I saw blackness,” says Marks. “I smelled electrical wires burning and I banged on her door. She was trying to get it open and it was so black in there. She finally opened the door up. I grabbed her and I said – ‘Come on, Bonnie.’ – and she said – ‘No, Honey Boy.’ – and I’m like – ‘No, Bonnie. Don’t go back in there. Come out of there.’ – so I got her and we came outside and I called her family.”

The American Red Cross of the Quad Cities responded to help provide shelter, food, clothing and emotional support to the displaced residents. They say it could be anywhere from eight to 10 families that need assistance.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 890 other followers