Gas Leak Forces Milan Community to Evacuate

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Milan community had to evacuate their homes early Wednesday morning due to a nearby gas leak.

More than 80 people were forced to leave their homes at the Woodland Mobile Home Park division and in homes surrounding the area when a liquid oxygen tank at Mississippi Laser had a leak.

Authorities responded to a call around 12:45 am Wednesday morning.  A liquid oxygen tank, just filled yesterday evening, had a frozen valve that caused a leak.  A repair service was called and the tank was drained.  According to regulations though, the crews were forced to evacuate the homes within a third of a mile radius.

Officials say the evacuation was precautionary measures and everyone was allowed back in their homes less than 3 hours later. 

Residents in the area were sent to the Milan HyVee during the evacuation.