New requirements to register Iowa off-road vehicles

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


If you register an off-road vehicle in Iowa, you’ll need to do it in-person at your county recorder’s office. 

Recorders in all 99 Iowa counties now have a new registration database for off-highway vehicles like ATVs, snowmobiles, off-road motorcycles and off-road utility vehicles.

As a result, registration renewals for the 2013 calendar year must be done in person so the county recorder can convert your registration to their new system.   This new requirement starts Tuesday, September 4, 2012.

The new database will allow recorders across the state to access records from all counties in Iowa.  It will also let vendors issue titles and assign liens in addition to processing registrations and registration renewals.

When you go to your county recorder to renew your off-road vehicle registration, you will need to take your most-recent registration, title information and vehicle description information including the make, model, model year, vehicle color, number of wheels and vehicle identification number.   

“There are two notable changes in the registration process. The first is registrations can only be done during the county recorder’s normal business hours and the second is the vehicle must be entered into the new system by a county recorder, before it is eligible for renewal, transfer, or having a duplicate title issued,” said Rhonda Fowler, ATV and snowmobile education coordinator for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. 

“During this first year with the new system, customers should allow extra time for their renewal while records are being transitioned,” Fowler said.