Smoke detector credited with saving Clinton family

Fire generic

Fire department officials say a Clinton, Iowa family escaped a fire in their home thanks to a working smoke detector.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 600 block of Fifth Avenue South just before 6 a.m. Wednesday, July 25, 2012.  Light smoke was coming from the windows of a second-story window when they arrived.   A sofa in a back bedroom was on fire.

A resident said she was awakened by a smoke alarm in the home.  She said she thought it was an alarm clock going off until she opened her bedroom door and saw smoke.  That’s when she woke up the other people in the home.

Everyone escaped unharmed.

The smoke detector that sounded was installed through the Clinton Fire Department Smoke Detector Program in June 2009. 

The fire caused about $5,000 damage to the home.  The cause is believed to be accidental discarding of smoking materials. 



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 863 other followers