Rock Island family evacuated for basement dryer fire

Posted on: 8:47 am, July 10, 2012, by

police lights generic

The American Red Cross of the Quad Cities Area helped a family after the clothes dryer in their basement caught fire early Tuesday morning, July 10, 2012.

The fire was reported just before 2 a.m. at a home in the 900 block of 15th Street in Rock Island. 

Firefighters said they found smoke in the basement and first floor of the home.  They used a thermal imager to find the dryer as the source of the fire.

The fire was put out and firefighters pulled the dryer out of the house.

Battalion Chief Paul Hoffeditz said the fire did not damage the structure. 

Smoke was cleared but the family stayed out of the home because one member suffers from severe asthma.  The family was helped by the Red Cross. 

Click here for more news from Rock Island and West Rock Island County