check out high school football scores in real time
Flood Warning: When rivers will crest and how high the water will get

Fire blamed on child playing with lighter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
police lights generic

A Clinton, Iowa family was forced from their home when fire that started in a child’s bedroom quickly spread.

The fire was reported just after 1 a.m. Sunday, May 27, 2012 at a home in the 1000 block of Fifth Avenue South in Clinton.

Fire was showing from the second floor of the home when firefighters arrived. 

The fire was contained to the room where it started.   Smoke and water damaged the rest of the home.

A Clinton Fire Department spokesman said, “The most likely cause of the fire is a child playing with a lighter who started his bedding on fire.”

The fire quickly spread throughout the room.  

Everyone in the house got out safely.  One child suffered a minor burn to his leg and was released to his parents’ care.

The American Red Cross assisted the family.