Follow the Good Morning Quad Cities 2018 Road Trip here

UPDATE: Man’s body pulled from Mississippi River identified

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

May 11 afternoon UPDATE:   The young fisherman has been identified as 20-year-old Christopher Johnson of Moline. 

The Rock Island County Coroner released the man's name and says an autopsy will be conducted Saturday, May 12 to determine the exact cause of Christopher's death.

May 11 at 7:30 a.m. UPDATE: A search team has found the body of a fisherman missing in the Sylvan Slough since early Thursday night.

News 8's Angie Mitchum, reporting from the scene, watched as a boat carrying a recovery team discovered the body at about 7:10 a.m. Friday, May 11.   An ambulance was at the scene on the Mississippi River along the Rock Island-Moline city line. 

Moline firefighters confirmed they recovered the man's body after a search began for the man Thursday.  The name of the man whose body was pulled from the river is expected to be announced later Friday.

May 11 at 6:30 a.m. UPDATE: Recovery crews have returned to an area of the Mississippi River where a fisherman was last seen Thursday night.  Boats arrived shortly after 6:30 Friday morning in the Sylvan Slough area near the Moline-Rock Island city border.

May 10 POST: The Moline Fire Department responded to the scene of a man who went missing in the Mississippi River.

It happened around 6:45 Thursday evening at Sylvan Island. As of 9 Thursday evening, crews called off the search for the night. Officials still have not found the missing body.

"We were right there at the time actually where the kid came up missing," Moline resident Shane Forgie said. "We were coming up here when the guys were coming up around the corner."

The person in the river is a 20-year-old male who was allegedly fishing at the time.

"We ended up moving right down here," Forgie said. "Then before you knew it, five minutes later, we had sirens coming down here and squads running down here. That was about the end of that."

The Moline Police Department along with the Arsenal Fire Department searched Sylvan Island just north of First Street and First Avenue.

"There was a gentleman who was fishing with a couple of friends," one official told News 8. "We believe he slipped, and he went missing. His friends called 911 immediately."

The Moline Fire Department says they will be back at Sylvan Island around 6:30 Friday morning to continue searching for the male. Officials have not released the person's name at this time.